Listen to Frasers Argyle Street & Burtons Buchanan Street:
Meet the Full Monty
Fergus Sutherland discusses how tobacco lords and entrepreneurial retailers played a part in establishing the main streets we see in the centre of Glasgow today.
Marvel at the baroque dome and decadent Victorian balconies of what is now the Fraser’s building, originally designed by architect Horatio Bromhead in 1900—3. Before that Stewart & Macdonald had occupied this corner, expanding upon their wholesale drapery business in the 1830s. Bromhead continued in the style of the earlier neighbouring building by Scottish architect William Spence, a typically generous Glasgow gesture.
Crossing the road to view the opposite corner of Buchanan Street and Argyle Street, take a look at the Burton’s building, designed by architects Pierce & Martin and completed in 1929. Now occupied by HSBC this was one of the flagship stores of the largest retail tailors in the world.